Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The meaning of my name

A friend was asking me to help her do a search for a name for her nephew and I was giving some suggestion when I thought, why not give my name a search?

Whilst doing a search on my name; it seems that my name's origin is from Hebrew.  Woah, that blows me away.  I mean, come on... God, You must be joking right?  That was my thought initially.  The meaning?

Sue = Hebrew origin which means Lily (pretty flower? graceful? I remember dancing lily)
A = Hebrew origin which means grace/ favour (God, are you kidding me? grace? lily; to me is associated with grace, so the stunning effect of my name)

Faint, God, You never fail to shock me eh?  I never knew that the totality of my name carries Your grace and favour.  I've seen Your favour in my life, I've seen Your grace, and accepted it in my life.  But to know that Your grace and favour follows me even before I knew You... that, I am speechless.

That's my second stunned moment by the way.

Third one coming up.  In chinese, my middle name is pronounced as "shu".  My friend explained to me this; your name means, virtuous.  Gentle and virtuous. I never realised that my chinese name and my english name tied together so well.  It's like God is speaking to me through my name.  For I am the Lord Your God, you have found favour in me, and I have granted you grace.  Be the woman that I have called you to be, gentle and virtuous (Proverbs 31).

Oh Lord my God, You truly know me.  Even before i was in my mother's womb, you have already called me by my name.  You know me even before I was born.  Who am i to doubt God?  Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name? But yet Lord, You've shown me again and again that You favour me and You love me.  Thank You Lord for Your grace, because it is through Your grace I have life.

Lord, I seek Your will and through this, I realise one thing.  Your will for my life is to be the woman You have made me to be.  A woman living her life to reflect the grace You have poured into her life, whose favour is found in You.  A woman described in Proverbs 31, not perfect in that sense, but striving to be the woman whom God has called me to be.

Oh, how majestic that You are.  Praise You oh Lord my God for You are worthy, so worthy to be praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment