Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Attended the annual general meeting of the International Student Association (ISA) of Gippsland. Was thinking since I have nothing much to do, why not go and have a look, since they are providing food and what's more, my friend's a president there. Imagine the shock to see that there are some problems with the club internally. But my friend is truthful, he bares his soul about what the association is currently facing, what the true purpose of the association, his heartfelt sadness over what has happen and so on. Truly, he was truthful and even when he seeks for new committee members, he doesn't push but tells us that we will face hardship in the very near future by being one of the committee. Yet, the response was good (though it was a bit lukewarm in the beginning of the selection) and all the post was taken. Though we might think, hey, it's just a club of something, wouldn't matter if people do attend or not, but I find that his ideals, his hope, and his wanting to see that the club do do something for the international students appeal to me. Hey, come on, you do know that the association exists because of us international students, don't you? Why not come and support it? Are you not an internation student? Are you not part of the people who came here to this campus to study? No matter if you're from Malaysia, from Indonesia, from Singapore, from Fiji, Africa, England, America, you're still an international student here. Do hope that people will come to know that this association exists because of us, not the other way round.



Yes, I am in the association, and I do sound as though I am promoting it. But the real reason behind this is because I can see that the president is really there wanting to help us international students. I have to admit that I do not have a good impression on those people when I first came here. But having attended the AGM, I could see that this new president wants something to happen, not just to recruit people to join in (which they don't do anymore for it is not required, all international students are members of it), but he wants to do something for us international students. Do not look down on people whom you do not know very well, do not judge people by what you hear. Go and listen to them yourself, go and see for yourself. Decide yourself, don't let others decide for you. I join because I want to be a part of this change, to lend a helping hand to those who are in need, to be somewhere where someone does need help. Why stay away? Why hide? Why judge? Open your eyes and see for yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment