Monday, April 9, 2007

My business trip up to North on 7 April 07

Made some jottings while I was at the airport. Enjoy...

Location: Penang Airport
Reason: Waiting for my flight back to Kuala Lumpur
Reason for being in Penang: Work purpose - conducting interviews at Alor Setar and Butterworth
In Penang since: 8am in the morning
Flight back: 1030pm
Time now: 840pm
Time wake up: 4am
Time slept the night before: 2am
Hours of sleep: 2 hours
Winks in between: half an hour in the taxi to Alor Setar, 1 hour in the ride back to Penang Airport

Incidents that's amusing/eye opener:

Incident 1:
it was pouring on the way back to Penang Airport. I saw 3 different accidents within the stretch of 1km (maybe less!).... it's kinda bad, in the sen that it involves 3 cars at the very least, and the front and rear of the cars are pretty smashed up. Yet to see such accidents in a vast of 1km before.... quite stunned

Incident 2:
the taxi to Penang airport was super old. There's a mini fan inside the taxi! How quaint can it be??!! Likewise, the taxi driver is an old man who speaks mandarin to me. At least he understood my feeble attempts of conversation with him (my mandarin sounds funny! haha... I can't really speak it)...haha.. it's porbably the reason why he doesn't seem to want to talk to me much.. oh well... i've tried :P By the way, the journey, which was supposed to be 2 hours or less became more because the taxi uncle was driving very slowly. I felt my butt getting sore from sitting in the car for so long. And nope! Not hoping for F1 speed.. at the very least, not 60km per hour... still thankful I got to the airport in one piece.

Incident 3:
me! why? Coz I'm now sitting outside the office of MAS airlines, and in front of me is the check out counter entrance.....okok.. specifically, i'm sitting on the FLOOR! Reason? My phone's battery's dying and because I still need to make contact with the world down central, I need it alive and well. Oh, did I mention that the power plug is outside the office. Why phone battery is dying? Erm, I'ven been on the phone the whole day coordinating and ensuring that the interview will go smoothly. Been sitting here for probably about half an hour now... people are just staring at me whenever they walk pass and even one lady wanted to approach me to get a credit card.. weird. I guess I am attracting attention as I'm wearing a bright green jacket! A present from Din Din! But it's fun to see people's head turning to see what I'm doing. One MAS guy actually ask me wat's up... i just smiled and say, charging phone! kekek

Incident 4:
My taxi drivers in KL are really nice. The morning guy who fetched me gave me a morning call at 4am in the morning! My alarm rang the same time as the call came in! Literally made me jump out of the bed to answer the call n turn my alarm off... then, half an hour later... the taxi driver was talking non-stop to me in the car. I've made attempts to answer him, but in my half drowsy mode... haha... I guess I dropped off after a while, coz the next thing I know he was like, Sue ah, we've arrived.

He called me a couple of times reminding me to call the other taxi driver who's going to fetch me home! Scared I'll left alone and all I guess. keke... or maybe he think i'm a cute girl and will be kidnapped?!! Keke.... but am thankful for people who takes care of me ;)

The one fetching me home was more happening! He was chatting in cantonese with me. So happily we chatted for over an hour, from the airport all the way home! Haha.. i was already sleepy but it was kinda fun talking to him. Shared so many amusing incidents with me! He's almost turning 60 but yet looking so healthy and hyper... haha... man, as compared to him, I figured I'm pretty much flat that night.

Happenings during the interviews:

Schedule for the day:
4 interviews in Alor Setar
2 interviews in Butterworth
Coordinator: SUE and only SUE
management of the interviews: SUE
interviewers: Sue and another guy (can't split myself into 6 can i!??)

Incident 1:
One of the respondent's dad passed away in the morning! Was quite stunned when she shared it with me....as I called herto confirm on the interview and all... may he rest in peace. Had to call my boss and let him know of the matter.

Incident 2:
Spoke to 2 more respondents from Butterworth. Had to cancel both of them because they never did the work we asked them to prepare properly. Oh well, things can be quite unpredictive. I had to make the decision to cancel it as it's not going to work.

Incident 3:
One respondent simply did the homework and we had to waste money paying for his shoddy work. Lesson learnt. Need to check more thoroughly on the homework that respondents did!

To sum up, it's been a long and hectic day for me, one that started out as being stressful, but ended with peace. I'm thankful to Him who gave me peace! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment