Monday, April 12, 2010

Grandma's Here

Today mark the first day that Grandma is staying with us. Since her stroke, she seldom come over, as she is now crippled on her right side.  Some of the things I note of my grandma, is how considerate she is of us.  Although she is tired from the long hours of not sleeping the whole day, she refused to go to bed.  We thought that it was because she wanted to watch tv, but noticing that she was yawning, I prodded her.  In her lack of vocabulary since the stroke crippled her, she pointed to her wheelchair and said that she will sleep there.  Further prodding reveals that she refused to go to bed because she does not know that we brought her bed along with her and thought that it was a new bed.  She don't want to dirty it, thus she restrained herself from sleeping.  I wonder if that's the case since this morning, as my aunt said she was awake the whole day.  It's heart wrenching for me to see her like this, yet I am so amazed by the strength, the care and the consideration of my grandma.

Whilst I went in to check on her, I saw that she was still wide awake.  My dad says that it's probably cause she is missing my uncle, aunt and my cousins.  It's really sad to note that your son who has been taking care of you is now leaving to go overseas.  I'm sure she misses them dearly, for my uncle is a very jovial yet mischievous guy, always disturbing my grandma and making her laugh.  It's because of his "naughtiness" that has helped my grandma to improve on her speech.  I'm really going to miss them.  It'll be different when reunion dinners or family gatherings is without one family.

It's the start of taking care of my grandma.  She is old, at the ripe age of 93 now.  Although she may not have many years on to live, but I do thank God for the opportunity to care for her.  It's because of her that I am the way that I am right now.  She brought us all up single handedly whilst our parents (my cousin's as well) were out working hard for us.  I still remember that when I was a kid, I had to run after my grandma, chasing her to go to the market.  Imagine, a grandma who could walk so fast that even a kid have to run after her.  That's who my grandma is.  She showed so much love and care to her grandchildren, faithfully caring for us and watching over us.  I will not ever forget those Saturdays whereby she will walk me to my taekwondo classes faithfully in the afternoon.  Mind you, we were a big bunch of family, with all the uncles and aunties and their kids living under the same roof.  Yet, she took the time to care for each of us.  She will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Dear Lord, I pray that U will continue to watch over my grandma.  I love her dearly, and I know U do as well.  And I know that U could feel the pain of this family as well, seeing her the way that she is.  We truly love her as much as she has loved us.  Although sometimes it hurts that she could not remember who we are, but truly, we are thankful that she is alive still and is still blessing us with her presence.  Oh Lord, open my heart and eyes to the lessons that U want me to learn from caring my grandma as a family.  Bless her oh Lord, as U have always blessed me.  In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment